Perth4x4.net Forums

Go Back   Perth4x4.net Forums > 4x4 Discussion > Garage > The Shed

Notices

Old 19-10-2007

Default hilux surf auto overdrive problem

Gday guys. im have a problem with my surfs auto, it doesnt seem to go into overdrive. i thinks it an electrical fault, so i have had it into a auto sparky. they tell me the solinoid is not getting power, but they cant get info to tell wether its an electrical module or the ecu. any help with this would be great
Old 19-10-2007

possibly pm Jeff_WA he has alot of knowledge in things like this, he has mucked around with the auto box wiring and stuff in his surf.
Old 22-10-2007

the aut electrian and i reckon that the problem is the ecu. i have been ringing up wreckers to try and find one for my kzn130 but havent had any luck. if anyone has any idea it would be much appreciated, or if someone would like to donated there ecu for a few mintutes to make sure that is the problem that would be greatly appprecitated to.
Old 22-10-2007
Gettofab!!

kzn130... sounds like a new toyo chassis number. Surely Toyota can plug their diag machine into it and see what the problem is? Is that what the auto leccy did? or just get a test light on it and sent you on your way?
Old 22-10-2007

the sparky checked the solenoid for power and it wasnt gettin any so he tried to trace it, but then he couldnt find any info on the vehicle. i have found out more info then they have by talkin to ppl on here. might give the diagnostic a go thou, see what toyota have to say.
Old 23-10-2007
Yes, I do hate you.

There are heaps of transmission documents on the Australian surf forum with all the in's and outs of their workings.

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au

It would seem strange that an ECU has just decided to "stop working" on one single part. Like changing into overdrive.

The overdrive is most likley not being activated by the ECU because it has gone back into fail safe mode. This would happen because of either a faulty sensor or somthing actually being wrong with the gearbox (perhaps the solinoid is drawing too much current because it is jammed or somthing).

I highly doubt that the ECU has failed, otherwise the engne would not go. It's all one unit on those.

If you can identify which wire leads to the overdrive solinoid you could potentially give it 12v while driving in 3rd and see if it kicks in.

I would also be trying to find another auto leccy or transmission mob, if they can't work it out then they are obviously not qualified to work on your vehicle. There are many, many transmission and auto leccy places that have worked on surfs and been able to easily identify which cable does what from the ECU to the transmission. I would have though one of the first things to do would be to pull the transmission pan off and check the impedance of the solinoid and check to see if it activated when given 12v or not.... but hey, I'm no expert.
Old 16-11-2007

hey guys just to let you know, i fixed the over drive problem. it ended up being the computer after all. i tried changing the tps as we thought it wasnt giving the ecu enoiught volts but that didnt help.
just thought id put this on so that if anyone else has the same problem they can have an idea of ehat is wrong
thanks Graeme
Old 16-11-2007

Graeme, do you still have the old computer, try plugging it in again and see if it works. Just a long shot, but might have been corrosion in the plug pins. It's a common thing to happen with auto electrics.

Can you also let me know how the install goes with that kit I sent when you get it. If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask any questions. Cheers.
Old 18-11-2007

yeah still have the old computer, gunna keep it as a spare. after all the stuffing around i cant really be bothered taking it out and putting it back in again, i have done it about 5 times and am getting sick of doing it. im just gladits all fixed.